What is the best way to get people in poor countries and communities to use crypto?

I am from Angola and the banking system there 1000th worse than the banking system here in the US. How do you get people from 3rd world countries to use crypto as an alternative to traditional unreliable banking?

2 Likes

Hi.
A great qustion and I have some ideas. I’d say that people need to be introduced to crypto in a educational way. Teach them that in this alternative way of not just managing money, but there is innovation underneath every valuable project. It would be easier if there’s a development of these technologies that make lives of people directly easier and is in service of people (Would be better if people have some basic tech knowledge). And also crypto should be legal in the countries. I am from Bolivia, in South America, and because of mainly wronged political ideas cryptocurrencies are not allowed in this country, so adoption is very unlikely in the short term. Best regards everybody

I agree with @jomisema_452. Education has to be a first priority. Also the government cannot be opposed to it.

Then the people need businesses set up with point of sale systems to start accepting Bitcoin and other Cryptos. For example DASH and it’s community has been good at doing this in several countries.

In any case, if you’re not familiar with him, check out Andreas Antonopoulos’s Youtube channel. He is a great speaker and proponent of Bitcoin and has gone to many countries to teach about it:

2 Likes

This is a very difficult question. I don’t think it will be used by poorer communities unless it is fee-less, fast and perhaps most importantly, user friendly.

In addition to the above, it needs to also make them money in order to incentivize them to use it more as well as evangelize it to other poor people within their respective countries and communities.

I think the combination of all these things will go a long way towards getting people in poor countries and communities to use crypto.

There is one advantage that low-income communities have- most of them have access to a smartphone with an internet connection.

I agree with @mhodl regarding education.

I think one idea would be to find ways in which crypto can have a use case in their daily life.

What do you guys think?

I agree with @mhodl regarding education.

A famous quote "Give a man a fish, and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you’ve fed him for a lifetime.

"

1 Like

thanks ill check it out

More than $10 billion worth of money was deposited and withdrawn through the M-Pesa peer-to-peer (P2P) app in Kenya between July and September of 2016, Mobile World Live reported. M-Pesa offered by Safari.com had 20.7 million users in Kenya alone last year.

Many companies are trying to replicate MPesa’s success by offering cryptocurrency banking services through apps. A company called Micromoney claims to have made 40,000 loans to people in Myanmar (Burma), Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka through its blockchain-based system. The system includes a phone app that is available via Google Play.

MicroMoney’s goal is to make basic banking services like loans to available to the world’s 2.5 billion unbanked people. The unbanked lack bank accounts; and can live hundreds of miles from a bank, but they still need money.

Companies like MicroMoney and Nebeus hope to reach them because many of those have mobile phones. Nebeus plans to offer cryptocurrency-backed loans to the unbanked.

I thinks the easiest and realistic way is to use social media to get people aware that some technologies like this kind exists, you will need to guide them and make it easy for them to get in crypto (maybe you can even think of starting a business for that) and once few people will feel the benefits the mouth to ear effect will do the rest because people there have really felt how bad is the banking system and they aren’t as brainwashed as the people in western countries.

1 Like